Thursday, January 26, 2012

Back in the USA - Brownsville Texas

Cathy Swansburg Sykes

January 25 & 26, 2012 - Made our way up through the Gulf side of Mexico yesterday and entered back into the United States today. Driving along this route was pretty boring except for the military stops we kept encountering. Lots of them!!! As we drove further north they got more and more present taking over many of the larger hotels.

We stopped for Wi-fi last yesterday afternoon and found the sweetest little girls having birthday party at McDonalds. Did you know most McDonalds and Burger Kings all have free wi-fi now.

Anyways, the US Border was pretty easy compared to others. No customs, they took my bacon and eggs, let the dog do his thing which of course found nothing and I joked on the side-lines with the Border Patrol Cops who told me each day was like a treasure hunt. I told them I was an antiques dealer and could understand. I asked "What was the most valuable thing they had found?" They responded "Diamonds!" which kind of surprised me - they did admit that it's usually narcotics (a more scary word then Pot/Weed/Ganji etc.

We sailed thru customs and I brought Sterling to the Greyhound Bus so he could catch a couple of weeks in LasCruces NM seeing some old college friends and maybe working for my sister Debbie & husband David who live there and are in the midst of moving their pottery shop to a new location.

I happily spent the afternoon at a beach taking an hour long walk. I chased what I thought was a lighthouse until I got close enough to realize it was a large multi story building - I should have known better - I'm back in the USA.

It feels good to talk English and be understood. I feels good to have toilets with seats and paper that aren't filthy! If feels good not to have crazy people passing me on a double yellow line. It feels good not to have any more speed humps and bumps. It feels good to be by myself for a couple of weeks until I meet up with the boys again for Mardi Gras.

I contacted my friend NarrowLarry Harris who recommended some trick things to do in this area so I look forward to exploring the next few days - doing some writing - considering doing my taxes and being home on US turf. PEACE for now - more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment